Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Too many,Thank you , A good one please !


This is the umpteenth book I am chucking after having been half way through. It is annoying because you have spent about 3 to 4 hours of your life, reading it and through the middle of the book you discover the story is taking you nowhere and you don’t particularly agree to the persona of the protagonist and so, well, you decide to go ahead and close the book down for good ! Anything wrong ? Nope, but it happens almost all the time with me. Yesterday, after having reached about 280 pages in a 500+ paged book called ‘Wedding Day’ by Catherine Alliot, I had to scowl cause there was nothing more to the pages I read than how things were on page 1. I usually make a profound research on the book and its reviews on the internet before I decide to start reading it, cause I think we need something more on the blurb of the book other than the excerpts from the story and the usual, ‘New York Times Best selling….’ blah blah. A good book is that which keeps you guessing what would be happening next and should eventually prove your guesses wrong, irrespective of its genre. And if book review websites can sometimes surprise you with the high star ratings they offer a book, which might seem just mediocre to you, perhaps it’s better to take the good old way of walking through the bookshelf and letting the instinct randomly choose one. But then again, I run a risk of picking a bad one.
Too much for being choosy, I say.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happened to me some times. but i wish to finish i book in hope that it may have something worthwhile reading!!

i generally read a book based the comments given by the user than the comments on the websites!!

PurpleHeart said...

Even I try and cling on to the book hoping for something good to turn out but it's annoying when nothing does and you have spent time over it !

Zak said...

so ur on ! i usually finish a book and destroy it by giving it to useless friends :p

PurpleHeart said...

Wow, How thoughful !!!

Anonymous said...

hehe..poor you... lucky book... and hey sandy1 when you write about dave, do add his picture.. pictorial representations of him adds spice to the posts

Honey Bee said...

OOOoooops another book on Wedding? I happened to read a book by Danielle Steel... I had to read it because I was traveling.. I didn't have any other go...As you say, No going by ...New York blah blah blah.....

Gomathy S said...

Yes..sometimes our groundwork fails.!!

PurpleHeart said...

Chriz, Lucky Book ! Yea, lucky 'coz I patiently read thru 280 pages.

Honey, I used to like Danielle Steel. Johny Angel by hers is a fav of mine !

Gomathy, I've decided to stop any groundwork !

Anonymous said...

hehe.. you still dance?

PurpleHeart said...

yup, at home now !! :P